Sunday, February 15, 2009

Growing is never painless.....

Growing is never painless!
Over the last few weeks I have had the experience of TRYING to fundraise for Ikhaya Orphanage. My first thought was “easy as pie” job, bring it on. On a much closer observation and experience this is a much more difficult task than originally thought. Firstly, not being familiar with South Africa business is a problem of who sells what, who is a large business chain and what is a small family owned business. Secondly, and I would say most importantly, is the fact that there is such a huge need overall in South Africa. Businesses and people are overwhelmed with the amount and frequency of requests for services and donations. My e-mail in box is full of replies (very polite and apologetic!) that state they already support a certain cause or they choose to support a different kind of issue other than orphans (ie health issues, women’s issues, community development etc). You may be thinking ok, so where is the pain here……

Coming from a pretty sheltered and privileged life (I am coming to realize just how pampered my life really was/is at home!) I have not really had the opportunity or need to approach people for donations or help. I think at times we as North American’s pride ourselves in our independence and self reliance. Being quite sensitive I find it very hard to stand face to face with someone, ask for a donation, and have them say no we can’t help you with a donation. I imagine the flip side is saying no over and over again to local requests is hard (and sad) too!

My first donation was absolutely hilarious (only in hindsight!). I could not possibly believe that someone was agreeing to my request. I had this horrible thought that they were actually playing with me, I was going to arrive only to have them laugh and say….big joke, no donation! (Actually Mr. Ferguson is the nicest man you could ever meet!). After receiving the email to come and pick up the donation of printer ink cartridges the kids and I quickly loaded into the car. My thought was we better go get them quick before they change their minds!

Arriving in Ballito it took three attempts to actually pick up the donation (imagine a dog chasing his tail round and round, never quite reaching it). I went into the business and was very quick, happy and relieved to leave when it was a busy and the owner was occupied with customers. My second attempt was similar to my first. At this point I said to the kids, let’s go home and come back with Daddy to help out! On my third attempt Nicole was quite blunt to point out, just pick it up so we can get going! Ok, what on earth was the problem…..I think (know) it is pride. The fact that I do need (we all need) others and to receive from others is not easy to accept. Giving is actually quite easy to do, it puts you in a more privileged and powerful position. Accepting is often associated with being needy and less than others. Prideful and sinfully I don’t want to be seen as needy or lacking!

I am laughing at how situations come our way and they are presented to us as growing opportunities! The bible is clear to say that in the heavenly realm, the first will be last and the last will be first. The kingdom of heaven belongs to the meek and humble. Jesus came not for the healthy but for the needy and sick! To receive we must give up of our selves! The Lord has favour and blesses the widows and orphans of this world. Fundraising is an opportunity, one of growing and maturing. Learning to accept from others gratefully and gracefully. Allowing others the wonderful experience of giving and the blessings associated with that. Growth is never easy; we painfully resist, rebel, deny but in the end we do learn and even grow little by little. Funny how just the right “jobs” are given to us at just the right times in our lives……




No comments: